THE CHOCOLATE DOG BLOG: Aggressive Dogs and their owners



Aggressive Dogs and their owners

Now I was not there today but I have encountered enough of these dogs/owners to vent about it. Katie took Bosco to the school yard where we go if the ball diamond is in use. It is a designated dog area with the signs etc. so I do not mind letting Bosco off leash. I mean he is well behaved but he can be a little crazy and happy around kids and parents sometimes do not like that. So based on what I was told, there was this owner their with a very aggressive dog. She pointed out that her dog was aggressive and still let it off leash. Of course it attacked or went for Bosco and then put back on leash. Bosco is fine and sometimes can be a wimp about that stuff but still the issue is the same. Why if you know you have an aggressive dog do you take it to a dog park??Dogs don't change so its not like it will wake up one day and be different towards other dogs. Bosco is not one to stir up trouble so clearly the dog today just is not socialized. What if it was a kid? Then it would be a big deal I have no tolerance for this and when it happens and I am with Bosco I defend him like my own little kid. It can be scary to see and usually sounds worse than it is but it should not happen in it the first place. If you have a dog that can't behave and could harm another dog, leave it out of the park!! Walk it on a leash anywhere else and respect the people who are there to enjoy it. Phew that was a good rant eh?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

7/17/2006 04:30:00 AM

Just like you, I hate it when people bring dangerous and aggressive dogs to the dog park. I hate it almost as much as people who bring completely untrained little yippy ankle-biters to the dog park and then stand by when their stupid little poof-ball teases the larger dogs, thinking it's "cute". (<-- How's that for a rant?)

But I'm very confused by your post. I know you weren't there, so it is probably difficult to speak about the dog that ran at Bosco with any great authority other than in response to what Katie told you after getting back.

What did make me wonder a bit is that you equate not being socialized with being aggressive. There are a lot of dogs who don't get much socialization with other dogs. Some service dogs don't get to play with other dogs because they are raised to work. Yet they are safe in any environment they need to access along with their disabled person, and they will ignore other dogs. But when let off leash around other dogs, they don't know what to do.

I don't think you can say a dog that isn't socialized with other dogs is automatically aggressive or that the dog is going to be aggressive with people or children because it does not like other dogs. Some dogs just don't get along with other dogs.

The other problem I have found - and I'm not saying that to you in particular, but in general - is that even people who love their dogs and have owned dogs for many years often are clueless about their body language. On Saturday night I was out at the street festival in Alexandria with my girl Abby, and a fellow with a large black Lab approached us and assured us that his dog was "very friendly" and "loved other dogs." His dog walked over, head straight up, tail up and wagging like a flag, being VERY dominant. The guy said, "See, he's wagging and being friendly." Uh... no, buddy, he's challenging and showing he's dominant.

Of course, I wasn't there. You weren't there. We're both getting second-hand information on what happened and whether the dog was aggressive, dominant, or just clueless about how to behave around other dogs.    



7/19/2006 04:41:00 AM

thank you, all good points    



7/25/2006 04:02:00 PM

I'm glad to hear Bosco is well! Fortunately Ender has never had a violent encounter with any dogs, but there have been a few that have been a bit sketchy. I completely agree with protecting our dogs just as people would protect their kids! I'm also frustrated quite regularly by people who seem to have crazy uncontrollable dogs, whom they let off leash and then inform you that they are not all that friendly! They are only doing the dog a disservice by allowing it to continue its nasty ways! What if that dog decides to take on someone's precious little bundle of genes (aka child)someday? He could be headed straight for quarantine, or worse?

And Abby does make some good points as well, but we all need to remember that dogs NEED to work out dominance - I've met lots of people who get nervous about dogs barking and wrestling - and I'm a firm believer that as long as no one is getting hurt, we need to let the dogs work things out. (and you can tell if a dog is really nasty, or if it just plays rough) I've met many people who have pulled their dogs away from situations where it's just a simple matter of dominance, thinking that it's getting too rough for their dog... unfortunately, these are the dogs who never learn how to assert or accept dominance, and therefore do end up being considered "poorly socialized."    



» Post a Comment