THE CHOCOLATE DOG BLOG: Spa day



Spa day

Just finished giving Bosco a brush and a mail clip and thought I would mention some tips on nail clipping. I know it is not one of the most pleasant things for both dog and owner so here is how I go about the whole process.

The most important thing that pays off in the long term is getting your dog used to it early. I cut Bosco's a lot as a pup even if it was a little but just so he would get used to it. I read how you should play with their feet and ears a lot so later in life they won't get freaked out.

Now Bosco just rolls over and lets me do it, even though I know he hates it. But hey he does get a treat after. The hard part with Bosco is he has black nails and it is hard to see the vein. So it is important to take small clips off a bit at a time. I have done too much before and he did bleed a little. No big deal, it stops quickly and that big slobbery tongue fixes the rest.

I also think it is important to invest in a good pair of clippers so it does a good job. They run about 10 bucks and just ask for whatever kind the vet or store uses themselves. Seeing as vets and other places charge anywhere from 10-30 bucks to do this 2 minute task I think learning how to do it yourself can save you a great deal of money. You can then spend the savings on toys and food for the dog instead.

Don't forget to keep those nails trim so it doesn't scratch up your floor.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1/09/2007 09:22:00 PM

Great tips on clipping nails. Just a note for your readers, if you ever do cut too close, put a little styptic on the nail and it should stop the bleeding.    



» Post a Comment